countdown to the beginning of the rest of my life...


a collection of long (run-on) sentences in anticipation of the shortest

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

For my Pooh Bear who deserves all the love in the world

"Anything less than mad, passionate, extraordinary love is a waste of time. There are too many mediocre things in life and love shouldn't be one of them." -- Dream For An Insomniac

As the tag line of La Germania (or was it Imarflex?) succinctly puts it: Don't settle for anything less.

There was this story I read somewhere about a father who asked his two sons to ride into the cornfield to look for the perfect ear of corn (or was it a blade of grass?) and the son who came back with the best will inherit the father's riches or some other nice prize. But the catch was, once they go past one, they cannot come back to it; they can only move forward and without turning back. The first son came back with his choice and the father, seeing that his son came back so quickly, asked him, "How do you know that you found the perfect one if you didn't cover the entire cornfield?" The son replied, "I did not want to risk going past a perfectly beautiful ear of corn in search for a more beautiful one for who knows if I never find it." However, as they waited for the second brother to come back (he still hasn't come back as of press time), the first son suffered in anxiety (and is still suffering). If he had looked some more, could he have found a more beautiful ear of corn than the first one he settled for? He will never know now, will he?

Ok, so I fabricated the story a bit. But the point is, settling for something may be the easiest route, especially when you have the excuse that you might not find something like it again. But sooner or later, you will regret it somehow and you will spend the rest of your life wondering. Had you looked some more or had you waited some more, would you have found the ear of corn that would have made you happier?

So when did I become an expert on this love thing? (We're still talking about love, are we not?) Well, I'm not. I just know that I am blessed to have found it and I am certain that this is really it because not once did I wonder if there could ever be a better one for me even if I have been always allowed to go back to the others and have always been free to look farther in the cornfield.

Love (and making love) is the ambrosia of life and it is something that God must have intended to be brilliant and extraordinary and splendid and, as Heidi Klum would put it, over-the-top. If it's anything less than that, then why bother? There are many fish in the sea and the cornfield is limited only by our own capacity to dream.

And so, my dear Pooh Bear, which brother are you? The decision is yours but you know where I stand: La Germania or bust. It will be all worth it, I promise you.